Monday, March 10, 2008

Old Witch's Magic Nut Cake

     On Friday, our class was lucky enough to have a wonderful treat. Desirae read a Old Witch and the Polka Dot Ribbon. It is an older book that I really did not know much about. It was donated to my class by a teacher that retired several years ago so I added it to my classroom library since that is where I need books most.
     Well, last Wednesday morning I spotted Shaugnassy and Desirae copying something from a book. Upon closer examination, I saw they were copying a recipe from the back of a book. The book, it turns out, was The Old Witch and the Polka Dot Ribbon.


     I was happy to see the children interested in a text, especially an older text like Old Witch. I was also thrilled they were making connections and discussing texts with one another. Desirae and Shaugnassy must have chatted about the text at some point since BOTH were copying the recipe. I am not sure who read the story first but the fact remains, one of them shared the text with the other and a connection was made. This is what makes good readers!
     I thought I would go ahead and share the recipe with you. It is a wonderful and tasty recipe. So next time you are at the library, take a moment to check out Old Witch and the Polka Dot Ribbon by Wende and Harry Devlin. Then, if time allows, try your hand at baking a wonderful cake.

Old Witch's Magic Nut Cake
(Get Mother to help)
3 eggs
1 pound can of pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
Beat together and then add:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup of raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Pour the batter into three buttered one-pound coffee cans and place in teh oven standing up. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes or until a straw from a witch's broom, inserted into the cake, comes out clean.
Cool the cakes, turn them on their sides and frost with:
4 oz. cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice or vanilla
1/2 box of confectioner's sugar
Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
Happy baking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure how long yoh have had this posted but I read this book as a child...I am now 41 years old and my mother still makes this every Christmas...and I now am carrying on the tradition...it is a wonderful cake and everyone gets a big laugh when I tell them where I got the recipe...